Diversity at Womble Carlyle
In principle and in practice, Womble Carlyle values and seeks diversity. One of the core values of the Firm is respect for the dignity of the individual, which necessarily embraces the differences among us. We believe that diversity strengthens the Firm and enables us to better respond to client needs. We have incorporated this perspective into our strategic planning. Simply put, the Firm does not tolerate employment discrimination in any form.
The Firm has demonstrated its commitment to diversity in many ways, including: (1) multifaceted recruiting and community programs to increase diversity throughout the Firm; (2) internal programs to explore the experiences, development, and progression of diverse attorneys to assist in retention and recruitment of diverse attorneys; and (3) an office environment that encourages tolerance and respect for individuals regardless of differences. Examples of specific efforts to employ and retain diverse attorneys include:
- Establishing a Diversity Committee comprised of minority and non-minority Associates and Partners to address minority and female recruiting, retention, and advancement issues;
- offering domestic partner benefits;
- recruiting at law schools with large minority enrollments;
- sponsoring events in conjunction with diverse student organizations at neighboring law schools;
- recruiting at local and regional minority job fairs; and
- considering contributions to the Firm’s Diversity Initiative in compensation, bonus and advancement decisions.
Barbara Fountain, Senior Staff Liaison for Strategic Diversity Initiatives
Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice, LLP