Lawyer Bio : Pressly M. Millen
Pressly M. Millen
Press is a trial attorney who has litigated a wide variety of antitrust and other complex business cases, including class actions, in federal and state courts throughout the United States. He has represented clients in numerous industries including pharmaceuticals, software, telecom, and retail. He achieves success for his clients in litigation by being ready, willing and able to take those cases to trial. Press has been named by Business North Carolina as one of its Legal Elite in both Antitrust and Litigation.
Press has represented both defendants and plaintiffs in antitrust cases tried to verdict in federal courts. For example, he represented two North Carolina insurance company plaintiffs in a monopolization and conspiracy action in which the jury found liability on all claims after a seven-week trial ultimately resulting in a multi-million settlement for plaintiffs. Lawyers Title of North Carolina, Inc., et al. v. Investors Title Co. (U.S.D.C., M.D.N.C.). In another trial, he obtained directed verdict in favor of a defendant-manufacturer on monopoly claims brought against it. Implus, Inc. v. Schering-Plough Healthcare Products, Inc. (U.S.D.C., M.D.N.C.). Among the clients Press has represented in antitrust litigation are Reebok International Ltd., Microsoft Corporation, Jefferson-Pilot Corporation, Midwest Express, Inc., Rhone-Poulenc Ag Company, and Lithotripters, Inc.
Press has also represented numerous clients in complex class actions including Microsoft Corporation, Abbott Laboratories, Eastman Kodak Company, Market America, Inc., Pozen, Inc., Sears Roebuck & Co., SunCom Wireless, and Societe Air France, S.A. Press regularly appears on behalf of clients in the North Carolina Court for Complex Business Litigation, and he has litigated over a dozen trade secrets cases for clients including Bayer CropScience, SAS Institute, GlaxoSmithKline, and Overture Services, Inc. Press obtained a complete defense jury verdict for his clients in TSC Research v. Bayer Chemicals & Lanxess Corp. (U.S.D.C., M.D.N.C.), an action involving allegations of breach of contract and multiple torts, including misappropriation of trade secrets, in connection with a failed effort to market a chemical compound.
Press successfully defended the first civil RICO case tried to a jury verdict in the Eastern District of North Carolina in South Atlantic Ltd. P’ship of Tennessee v. Riese, et al , 284 F.3d 518 (4th Cir. 2002). Press also has substantial experience in dealing with investigations conducted by and litigation with the Securities and Exchange Commission, as well as in private securities fraud actions.
Press is a recognized authority on various legal issues related to complex litigation. He frequently lectures other lawyers on the subjects of Antitrust, Unfair Trade Practices, Trade Secrets, Confidentiality and Intellectual Property.
Press co-authors Womble Trade Secrets , a blog that follows trade secrets litigation.
Bar Associations: North Carolina Bar Association; American Bar Association; Antitrust Section, Litigation Section.
Admitted to bar, 1988, North Carolina. Admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court (1996), United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit (1987) the Fourth Circuit (1996), the Eleventh Circuit (2003), and the Middle (1988), Eastern (1988) and Western (1992) Districts of North Carolina.
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America , 2007 (Antitrust Law and Commercial Litigation).
Senior Lecturing Fellow, Duke Law School.
A.B., 1982, Yale University, magna cum laude ; J.D., 1985, Duke University School of Law, with high honors; Order of the Coif; Note Editor, Duke Law Review .
Prior Legal Experience
- Press Millen Offers Thoughts On Possible Changes To Judgeship Appointments
- 14 Womble Carlyle Attorneys Make Business North Carolina’s 2013 Legal Elite
- Womble Carlyle Places 52 Attorneys on 2013 N.C. Super Lawyers Rankings
- Press Millen Discusses Potential Rise in Trade Secrets Litigation with Law360.com
- Triangle Business Journal Writes on International Trademark Dispute Being Litigated by Womble Carlyle’s Press Millen
- 134 Womble Carlyle Attorneys Ranked Among The Best Lawyers in America 2013
- Millen Provides Class Action Insight For NC Lawyers Weekly
- Womble Carlyle Attorneys, Practice Areas, Honored in 2012 Chambers USA Report
- Womble Carlyle Presents Symposium for Top North Carolina In-House Counsel
- Press Millen Discusses DuPont Trade Secrets Ruling With The Guardian
- Twenty-Five Womble Carlyle Attorneys Named 2012 “Lawyers of the Year” By Best Lawyers
- 125 Womble Carlyle Attorneys Ranked Among The Best Lawyers in America 2012
- Womble Carlyle Raleigh, RTP Attorneys, Practices Make Chambers USA 2011 Rankings
- 38 Womble Carlyle Attorneys Named to 2011 Chambers USA Rankings
- Womble Carlyle Places 58 attorneys in N.C. Super Lawyers, Rising Stars Rankings
- 11 Womble Carlyle Attorneys Named to N.C. Legal Elite
- Womble Carlyle Scores Highly on National Client Service Report
- Five Womble Carlyle Attorneys Honored as “Lawyers of the Year” in National Report
- Press Millen Discusses Judicial Elections in Op-Ed Column
- Chambers USA honors 33 Womble Carlyle attorneys as “Leaders in their Field”
- 11 Womble Carlyle Attorneys Named to North Carolina Legal Elite Rankings
- Womble Carlyle Trade Secrets Blog Cited
- Womble Carlyle's Employee Defection & Recruitment Team Launches Non-Compete and Restrictive Covenants Blog
- N.C. Supreme Court Upholds Victory for Dell in Incentives Case
- Press Millen Quoted in Raleigh News & Observer on Castleton Bankruptcy
- North Carolina Court of Appeals Decision Upholds Dell Incentives
- Press Millen Featured in NC Lawyers Weekly
- Ninety-Eight Womble Carlyle Attorneys Named Among The Best Lawyers In America
- Womble Carlyle Attorneys Advise Business Leaders on How to Defend Trade Secrets
- Press Millen Wins Marketing Partner of the Year