Lawyer Bio : William M. Ragland, Jr.
William M. Ragland, Jr.
Bill Ragland is among the firm’s most experienced lead litigators and trial lawyers, concentrating his practice on intellectual property litigation and complex business litigation.
- Bill’s trial practice focuses on disputes regarding patents, copyrights, trademarks, trade dress, trade secrets, software implementation, performance and system integration, non-competition agreements, Internet and e-commerce, intellectual property and technology licenses, co-development of technology, false advertising, unfair competition and insurance coverage for intellectual property. He has tried cases before juries and judges in numerous jurisdictions and has successfully represented clients in cases of national importance. Bill also has substantial experience litigating a wide variety of other types of business disputes, including those involving commercial contracts, partnerships and closely held companies, product liability, insurance coverage, defamation and real estate matters.
- He has litigated over 50 patent infringement and other patent-related cases in his 26 year career.
- As a leading technology lawyer, he also provides strategic advice regarding the structure, negotiation and implementation of intellectual property enforcement and licensing programs and portfolio management services. In 2009 and 2010, Bill was named as one of the top 250 intellectual property strategists in the world by Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) magazine. He has been featured in Corporate Counsel magazine, IP Law & Business magazine and Business to Business magazine regarding leaders in innovative intellectual property enforcement and licensing programs. He also has been featured in "Big Deals" in IP Law & Business regarding his representation in license agreements with major technology companies. Bill has assisted numerous clients in maximizing the value of their intellectual property and technology assets.
- Bill has led numerous internal investigations for telecommunications, software, paper products companies and auditing firms.
- Bill’s clients have included numerous computer, software, telecommunications and other high technology companies, pharmaceutical, biotechnology and life sciences companies, major paper products, chemical and manufacturing companies, financial institutions as well as major record, music and entertainment companies and well known entertainers.
Professional, Civic and Community Leadership
- Atlanta Bar Association. In 2004 - 2005, Bill served as President of the Atlanta Bar Association, the largest voluntary bar association in the Southeast with over 6,200 members. He also completed his terms as Immediate Past President and as a member of the Executive Committee. Bill is the co-founder and past Co-Chair of the Intellectual Property Section of the Atlanta Bar Association. Bill also served as Co-Chair of the Sponsorship Committee and Co-Chair of the Memorial Fund for families of the victims of the March 11, 2005 Fulton County, Georgia Courthouse shootings. Prior to his presidency, he was a past Co-Chair of its Lawyer Referral and Information Service; Chair of the Association's Continuing Legal Education Board of Trustees; Chair of the Litigation Section; past Chair of the Pro Bono Committee; Co-Chair of its Sponsorship Committee; Member of its Community Outreach Committee; and Member-at-Large of its Board of Directors. He also held the positions of Secretary, Second Vice President, and First Vice President/President-elect before becoming President of the Association. He was a founder of the Children's Drug Education Program, a project of the Atlanta Bar Association.
- State Bar of Georgia. Bill currently serves on the Board of Governors of the State Bar of Georgia and its Next Generation Courts Commission. He has served on that board since 2007.
- Atlanta Bar Foundation. Bill is the Immediate Past President of the Atlanta Bar Foundation, the charitable arm of the Atlanta Bar Association, having recently completed his 2-year term as president in 2012. Bill also chaired the Foundation’s successful 25th Anniversary Fundraising Campaign, which has exceeded its goal by nearly fifty percent. The Atlanta Bar Foundation supports Atlanta Bar charitable projects that promote equal access to justice, assistance to youth and public understanding of the law. The Atlanta Bar Foundation also maintains an annual grant program to support Atlanta-area pro bono legal service providers serving low-income citizens in Atlanta.
- United States District Court and Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals. Bill was selected by the judges of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia to serve as a Board Director of the U.S. District Court Federal Defender Program and its Court Relations Committee, as a Member of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia Bar Council and as a Member of that Court's Disciplinary Committee. He is also a Member of the Planning Committee of the Judicial Conference for the Eleventh Circuit, and a current Master of the Bench and former Barrister of the Logan E. Bleckley American Inn of Court. Bill is a frequent speaker on intellectual property and litigation topics.
- Old War Horse Lawyers Club. Bill is the current President of the Old War Horse Lawyers Club.
- Smithsonian Institution. Bill is excited to be deeply involved with our national treasure, the Smithsonian Institution. With 19 museums, and 9 scientific research centers and the National Zoo, the Smithsonian is the world’s largest museum and research complex. Since 2006, Bill has served as a member of the Smithsonian National Board. From 2007 to 2012, Bill also served on the National Board’s Executive Committee. From 2007 to 2010, Bill chaired the Board’s Smithsonian Across America Committee, promoting national outreach, and from 2010 to 2012 he chaired the Broadening Access and Audiences Committee. Currently, Bill chairs the Smithsonian National Board’s Annual Giving Campaign. He was also recently appointed to the Board of Commissioners of the Smithsonian American Art Museum.
- Atlanta Youth Academy Foundation. Since 2006, Bill has served as a member of the Board of Trustees of the foundation providing financial support for Atlanta Youth Academy. Atlanta Youth Academy is a pre-K through 8th grade Christian school that provides a superior education and character and leadership development for inner city children from low income families. Bill is Vice President for Governance and Leadership and enjoys interacting with the remarkable students of AYA.
Bar Admissions and Other Bar Association Activities
- Admitted to the bar 1986, Georgia; 1987, District of Columbia. Courts: Georgia Supreme Court; Georgia Court of Appeals; District of Columbia Court of Appeals; U.S. Supreme Court; U.S. Courts of Appeal (Fed. Cir., 11th Cir.); U.S. District Courts (N.D. Ga., M.D. Ga.; N.D. Cal., E.D. Wis., W.D. Wis., and E.D. Tex.).
- Member, State Bar of Georgia Intellectual Property Law Section; Founding Member, State Bar of Georgia Products Liability Section; American Bar Association, Litigation Section and Intellectual Property Law Section.
Other Professional, Civic and Community Activities
- Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation, Past Board Director (2004 - 2005). AVLF provides free legal assistance in civil matters to low-income residents of metropolitan Atlanta;
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow;
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Member;
- Federal Circuit Bar Association, Member;
- Licensing Executives Society, Member;
- Lawyers Foundation of Georgia, Fellow and past Member, Focus Committee;
- Leadership Atlanta, Member of Class of 2007;
- Atlanta City Council City Code Review Team, Past Member;
- High Museum of Art, Atlanta Georgia, Wine Auction Committee Member;
- Lawyers Club of Atlanta, Member.
J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 1986; Senior Editor, Journal of Law & Politics; Law School Representative to University Student Council;
A.B., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1982; Phi Beta Kappa; Phi Eta Sigma;
Diploma, Woodberry Forest School, 1978; cum laude.
Prior Legal Experience
Partner, Hunton & Williams LLP, Atlanta, 2003-2007, Litigation and Intellectual Property Team;
Partner, Powell Goldstein Frazer & Murphy LLP (now known as Bryan Cave, LLP), Atlanta, 1995-2003; Chair, Intellectual Property Litigation Practice Group, 2001-2003.
Honors and Awards
- Future recipient (February 2013), Leadership Award, the highest honor bestowed by the Atlanta Bar Association. The Leadership Award is given to members “who inspire by their example, challenge by their deeds, and remind us all of our debt to our profession and our community.”
- Named one of the "Best Lawyers in America" in Business Litigation, as published in Best Lawyers in America, 2005, 2006 and 2007 editions; in Business Litigation and Intellectual Property, 2008 and 2009 editions; and in Business Litigation, Intellectual Property and Technology Law, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 editions.
- Named to the Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Magazine’s 250 – the World’s Leading IP Strategists.
- Named a Super Lawyer, as published in Atlanta Magazine and Georgia Super Lawyers magazine, 2004 - 2012 (Top 100 Attorneys in Georgia).
- Named a Leading Lawyer recommended in intellectual property in Chambers USA Clients Guide, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 editions and in intellectual property and commercial litigation in the 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 editions.
- Named one of "Georgia's Legal Elite," a listing of the state's "most effective lawyers," for Intellectual Property and Business Litigation, selected by Georgia attorneys and published in Georgia Trend Magazine, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008.
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation.
- Achieved the highest rating in Martindale-Hubbell peer review service.
- Listed, Who's Who in Law and Accounting, Atlanta Business Chronicle, August 2004 and 2005.
- Listed, Guide to Leading U.S. Litigation Lawyers, published by Legal Media Group Expert Guides, 2006 and 2007.
- Committee of the Year Award, Atlanta Bar Association, for Lawyer Referral & Information Service, 2003 (William M. Ragland, Jr., Co-Chair).
- 2005 President's Cup and 2005 Award of Merit, State Bar of Georgia, awarded to Atlanta Bar Association for Best Overall Voluntary Bar Association (William M. Ragland, Jr., President).
- Bill Ragland Provides Update to MAD/DigiMedia Case to Radio World
- Bill Ragland Discusses Radio Technology Patent Case with Radio World
- Atlanta Bar Association Honors Bill Ragland’s Civic, Professional Leadership
- Bar and Civic Leader Bill Ragland to Receive Atlanta Bar Association’s Highest Award
- Lou Isaf Moderates Corporate IP Institute Panel
- Radio World Interviews Bill Ragland Regarding Radio Automation Lawsuit and Second Patent Reexamination
- 134 Womble Carlyle Attorneys Ranked Among The Best Lawyers in America 2013
- Bill Ragland Participates in Atlanta Law Enforcement Appreciation and Memorial Service
- Womble Carlyle Attorneys, Practice Areas, Honored in 2012 Chambers USA Report
- Georgia Super Lawyers Honors 15 Womble Carlyle Attorneys
- Bill Ragland Quoted in Radio World Article on Patent Dispute
- 125 Womble Carlyle Attorneys Ranked Among The Best Lawyers in America 2012
- Bill Ragland Speaks at Metro Atlanta Police Memorial Service
- Womble Carlyle Georgia Attorneys, Practices Make Chambers USA 2011 Rankings
- Nine Attorneys Honored as Womble Carlyle Service Award Winners
- 38 Womble Carlyle Attorneys Named to 2011 Chambers USA Rankings
- 23 Womble Carlyle Attorneys Honored By 2010 Georgia Super Lawyers
- Womble Carlyle Team Launches “False Patent Markings” Blog
- Bill Ragland Leads Atlanta Bar Foundation In Its 25th Year
- BIC, Womble Carlyle Team, Defeat False Patent Marking Claim in U.S. District Court
- Chambers USA honors 33 Womble Carlyle attorneys as “Leaders in their Field”
- Womble Carlyle's Bill Ragland Named One of World's Top 250 Intellectual Property Strategists
- Lawyers Rock The Stage For A Good Cause
- Bill Ragland to Present IP Monetization Strategies at WMACCA Intellectual Property Program (Offered Live and via Webcast)
- Recap: Bill Ragland Discusses “Intellectual Property Marking: Benefits, Costs and Litigation” with the ACC’s Georgia Chapter
- Recap: Bill Ragland Speaks at National Conference of Bar Foundations Event
- Bill Ragland Speaks on IP Marking at Corporate IP Institute