Case Management Facility
CMF is the pioneer of innovative and cost-effective approaches to managing multi-jurisdictional high-stakes litigation.
What is the Case Management Facility?
The Case Management Facility (CMF) has been involved in the most significant product liability litigation of the last decade, and CMF attorneys and paraprofessionals have more than 25 years of experience in managing complex litigation. We currently represent companies in the Fortune 100, Fortune 500, and Financial Times Global 50. As a result, we understand the costs and risks of litigation and realize the challenges of working in multiple jurisdictions opposite a well-funded plaintiff’s bar. Our attorneys develop alternative fee arrangements, project litigation costs based on similar cases, evaluate the cost-effectiveness of certain approaches, including motion practice, and establish defense budgets. We have worked alongside and shared information with numerous litigation support providers, including court reporters, medical record collection and analysis companies, fact investigators, and scanning and copy services. We ensure that our clients make the best use of the services of each law firm and vendor, and that synergies are captured throughout the defense team.
The CMF manages case knowledge. We work with our clients to build an online file cabinet of correspondence, pleadings, transcripts, exhibits, research memoranda, and other attorney work product. The online file cabinet serves as the foundation for CMF attorneys to provide the “big picture” perspective, and layer on their experience for trend-spotting, project management, and benchmarking in accordance with business goals. Litigation cannot be effectively managed without a clear definition of success. We deliver successful results in the most efficient way for our clients -- however they define a win.
Our experienced professionals create streamlined workflow processes, utilizing technology at every step to avoid redundancy and duplication and to optimize communication. We have worked with various technology vendors, but do not have a financial interest in any technology company. We offer a blend of legal, technical and strategic best practices to ensure consistency, efficacy, and efficiency.
From 2007-2012, the CMF handled:
- More than 42,000 active cases
- More than 15.5 million litigation-related documents
- More than 112.6 million images and pieces of paper
To date, CMF has worked with more than:
- 200 law firms, including 68 of the AmLaw 200;
- 43 of the AmLaw 100; and,
- 31 of the AmLaw top 50.
The CMF supports more than 2,000 lawyers and legal support professionals at multiple locations, including 22 of the Global 50 law firms.
What case management will do for you:
- Standardize early case assessment process, and categorize cases and plaintiffs for risk assessment
- Quantify the number of plaintiffs represented by the same counsel and measure exposure by alleged harm— for example, personal injury, economic loss, shareholder derivative action, government investigations
- Predict costs by various measures, including region, counsel, discovery deadlines, and statutes of limitation
- Serve as a resource, working for in-house counsel and alongside national coordinating counsel firm(s)
- Maximize efficiencies afforded by coordinated proceedings, e.g., direct service of process to CMF, guarantee the coordinating court is timely notified of tag-along matters in multi-district litigation
- Monitor class allegations and certification status
- Control access to materials as appropriate
- Assure company witness preparation and testimony is focused and controlled
- Tell you what business-critical litigation information to track and when
- Provide online internet-based access to information, materials, and work product you and your lawyers need
- Run standard and customized reports
- Answer questions about the number of cases, the type, the status, the jurisdiction
- House all exhibit-related information and provide prior use history so that exhibit use is consistent
- Extract key issue testimony across transcripts and witness type
- Ensure consistent answers/responses to pleadings/discovery and generate templates for routine filings
CLIENTS IN THEIR OWN WORDS
"The CMF is the best case management solution I have seen. The CMF's software is easy to use and very powerful. But what makes the CMF unique is that it combines both a technical solution and trained professionals who ensure that the information is entered into the system quickly and accurately and the reports we need are generated out of it. The combination of these two services is what makes CMF such a valuable resource to those who coordinate complex cases."
Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP
"It is absolute state-of-the-art. I know there are a lot of people who like to put together computer technology and litigation management and there are probably some that do it quite well. I know of no one who does it as well as the Case Management Facility."
Former Deputy General Counsel
R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company