Community Development & Affordable Housing
Our Vision: Helping Our Clients Achieve Their Goals
Revitalizing communities is challenging work. The complex web of laws, regulations and rules that govern the many sources of capital used to finance community development make this task even more challenging.
Thus, whether you are a syndicator, a lender, an investor, a unit of government or a developer, you need a team of professionals that can help you identify and implement the strategies that will meet your goals in the most effective, efficient and profitable manner possible.
Our Strengths: Capacity and Experience
The attorneys working in Womble Carlyle’s Community Development Team have the experience and dedication to client service needed to help you achieve your goals. For example, we regularly:
- Represent Community Development Entities (CDEs), investors, and lenders in all aspects of New Markets Tax Credit (NMTC) matters and transactions, including drafting CDE certification and allocation applications, structuring and negotiating NMTC and "twinned" NMTC/historic transactions, and advising CDEs with respect to program compliance policies and procedures.
- Represent syndicators, investors, lenders and developers in low-income housing and historic tax credit matters, as well as other subsidized finance programs, such as the AHP, CDBG and HOME programs.
- Work with public housing authorities, developers and lenders on large-scale community development matters, including mixed-finance public housing and HOPE VI projects.
- Assist local governments to create and implement affordable housing and community development programs.
- Counsel banks and other financial institutions as to the opportunities to develop profitable Community Reinvestment Act compliance systems through engagement with the community development industry.
- Advocate for the interests of members of this industry before local, state and federal decision makers.
The Community Development Team has utilized its substantial experience with the affordable housing, historic and new markets tax credit programs to transform project concepts into real life, community impact stories.
Our Firm: Womble Carlyle is a Full-service Law Firm
Womble Carlyle is a full-service law firm, operating with more than 530 lawyers in six states and the District of Columbia. When the Affordable Housing and Community Development team is assisting a client, the experience of the entire firm is available to ensure that all aspects of a case are handled in an appropriate and cost-effective manner. As a result, when circumstances dictate, we will work closely with members of the firm’s Capital Markets, Corporate and Securities, Real Estate Development and Tax practice groups and others in the firm.
Whatever your specific needs, Womble Carlyle's Community Development Team looks forward to the opportunity to discuss how we can help you achieve your goals.