For more than 20 years, FirmLogic of Womble Carlyle has offered litigation support solutions by providing high-quality, cost-effective, customized work products that provide counsel with the resources that produce successful results.
Who is FirmLogic?
In its simplest definition, FirmLogic is a medical and scientific service of Womble Carlyle. FirmLogic collects medical records and physical evidence, performs medical research and analysis, retrieves medical and scientific literature, vets medical experts, reviews and codes medical documents, serves as a neutral settlement administrator, and offers a secure, easy-to-use litigation support management system developed using state-of-the-art technology.
FirmLogic was founded by litigators involved in large-scale, complex litigation involving medical and scientific issues across jurisdictions. As the need for additional litigation support grew, FirmLogic further broadened its staff to include PhDs, a MD, JDs, MSN and BSN-level nurses, a medical librarian and research analysts, as well as record and physical evidence, document, and expert witness professionals. Prior to our formation, no medically or scientifically focused ancillary service of this type existed.
With 20+ years of litigation experience, uniquely qualified talent, technology driven protocols, and focused analysis and research, FirmLogic is equipped to address the needs of its clients and their lawyers. FirmLogic identifies and assigns the right professional with the appropriate skill set to the task at hand, thus eliminating overwork and ensuring cost containment.
FirmLogic is adaptable. We can develop and prepare any number of cases from the individual matter to large-scale multi-jurisdictional litigation. To date, we have successfully supported litigation throughout the US and internationally for clients in a wide variety of industries, including pharmaceuticals, health care, manufacturing, insurance and consumer products. FirmLogic prides itself on providing high-quality, cost-effective, and proven medical and scientific work products and litigation support services.
What services does FirmLogic offer?
FirmLogic’s litigation support services include (click on each heading below for more information):
Medical Materials Collection and Maintenance
- Identifies and verifies provider information
- Generates record request letters and follow-up with providers
- Logs in, images and Bates numbers medical materials received
- Provides regular status reports
- Obtains radiology and pathology materials from facilities, providers
- Helps you create an effective defense for medical and scientific issues that arise during all stages of litigation
- Provides tailored standardized work products that meet goals of individual litigation
- Prepares a variety of work products, including:
-- Medical Chronology – Provides the core framework of select medical information from which all other medical products are built
-- Plaintiff at a Glance – Assesses validity and severity of claim in a one-page, categorized format
-- Medical Case Summary – Outlines a patient’s medical history, identifies confounding factors and lists significant missing medical information
Research & Library Services
- Performs customized medical and scientific research to support critical litigation points
- Assesses validity and utility of journal articles for targeted retrieval
- Retrieves literature and conducts searches on critical databases such as Medline, Dialog and relevant Internet sites
- Prepares focused research memoranda, topical “key quotes” and comprehensive “white papers”
Expert Witness Development
- Researches credentials, publications, affiliations and prior testimony of potential experts
- Identifies the most appropriate witness to meet your litigation needs
- Manages and houses witness information in extensive expert database
- Works with trial counsel in developing expert testimony
- Assists in drafting direct and cross-examination outlines and preparing exhibits
- Prepares fact and expert witness summaries and key quotes
Document Review & Coding
- Works with you and your outside counsel to define coding parameters
- Develops and implements guidelines to support subjective, objective or statistical coding
- Ensures consistent, cost effective and timely review and coding
Protecting confidential information is critical for health care providers, who must comply with specific federal and state laws to protect patient information. We can assist you with a full range of privacy and security compliance services, such as:
- Provides cost-effective third-party settlement administration for class action litigation
- Serves as a neutral administrator for cases in federal and state courts throughout the country
Logistics by FirmLogicSM
- Offers a secure, easy-to-use, on-line litigation support management system that allows convenient exchange of information and work product
- Provides convenient access to case pleadings, medical records, evidence retrieval status reports, medical work product, document images, deposition summaries, research literature and key quotes
- Allows you to control individual levels of access to medical and legal information
How can FirmLogic assist you?
Companies whose litigation hinges on medical and scientific know-how rely on FirmLogic to:
- Collect medical records and physical evidence
- Analyze medical records
- Develop medical and scientific case defenses
- Research medical and scientific topics
- Vet and help prepare expert witnesses
- Prepare fact and expert witness testimonial and deposition summaries and key quotes
- Advise litigation attorneys on possible courses of action and probable outcomes of same.
- Retrieve medical records and physical evidence necessary for case development
- Provide project manager to field client questions and ensure timely; efficient and cost-effective records collection
- Provide secure, on-line management system with access to real time status reports, physical evidence inventories, and medical/scientific work products
- Research critical medical and scientific issues
- Review medical/scientific materials to customize established work products to meet litigation goals
- Create an effective defense for medical and scientific issues that arise during all stages of litigation
- Identify potential medical experts to support defense themes
- Prepare medical and scientific lines of questioning for deposition and trial use
- Calculate actual costs of medical claims to assess potential damages
- Assist in development of litigation strategy
When should you contact FirmLogic for help?
FirmLogic adds greatest value when involved prior to the advent of active litigation; when critical decisions on the scope and framework of defense response are developed.
But it's never too early to contact FirmLogic. We can assist you with case development and defense at any point in the litigation process.