Intellectual Property Transactions
From early research and development through sales of established products, the development and commercialization of all types of intellectual property depends on having strong contracts to protect and monetize the intellectual property. Our IP Transactions Team consists of 15 attorneys with more than 100 years of combined experience in helping companies develop, protect and commercialize patents, trademarks, copyrights and other intellectual property.
In particular, our IP transactions lawyers can assist with:
- Technology transfers and assignments
- Strategic alliance and collaboration agreements for the development and commercialization of new products and new technology
- License Agreements for all types of intellectual property (patents, trademarks, copyrights and know-how)
- Information Technology Agreements (Software License and Maintenance Agreements, Consulting Agreements, Hosting Agreements, VAR and OEM Agreements and Outsourcing Agreements)
- Life Sciences Agreements (Sponsored Research Agreements, Development Agreements, Clinical Trial Agreements, License Agreements Supply Agreements and Co-Promotion Agreements)
We have represented buyers and sellers and licensors and licensees of intellectual property in a wide variety of industries, with a particular focus on clients in the life sciences (pharmaceutical, biotech, agri-bio), manufacturing and information technology/software industries.
Our IP transactional lawyers work closely with Womble Carlyle patent, trademark, tax, anti-trust, government contracts and other lawyers as needed to create deals that best serve the business and financial interests of our clients.
- Negotiated and prepared a large volume of information technology contracts for several national and international companies with large IT departments.
- Represented a multinational agri-bio company in structuring and negotiating a suite of license agreements in connection with the launch of a new business model.
- Represented several North Carolina Health Care Systems in the acquisition and implementation of electronic health record systems.
- Represented a multinational specialty chemical company in structuring and negotiating multi-year strategic alliance agreement with a manufacturer of regenerated materials to produce innovative materials for the automotive and flooring markets.
- Represented a multinational specialty chemical company in structuring and negotiating a $75 million contract-manufacturing and license agreement to provide additional manufacturing capacity and improved supply chain capabilities to the client’s existing manufacturing facilities.
- Represented the lead lender in the intellectual property aspects of a $117 million syndicated credit facility secured by the intellectual property estate of a multinational software company.
- Represented a venture-backed biotechnology start-up company in the simultaneous negotiation of technology license agreements with three different universities as part of a complex $27 million venture capital financing.
- Represented several multinational manufacturers in designing and executing enterprise-wide intellectual property audits and implementing internal improvements to the clients’ internal processes for capturing newly-developed technologies and protecting their intellectual property estates.
- Prepared and negotiated several multi-million dollar information technology outsourcing agreements for end user clients.
- Prepared and negotiated everal key strategic alliance agreements for the creation and commercialization of new technologies in the software, pharmaceutical and wireless industries.
- Prepared and negotiated technology transfer and research agreements between major universities and small life sciences companies.
- Prepared and negotiated form information technology agreements for a number of information technology vendors and end users.